Google Analytics

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hayseed Dixie and real good friends

Cold night tonight. Frosty. Alice would probably check with the Met-office and tell me it's minus 3°C. And go on to tell me to go to bed.

But last night - hey it was T-shirt weather. Warm enough to stroll across Norwich to see Hayseed Dixie playing at the Waterfront. Last saw them a year ago when Kate and I went down to Colchester Arts Centre with the Sidewinders - our "hot rod gang".

Good friend Jenny bought me a ticket for my birthday (cheers Jenny!!), turned up with her feisty daughter, and good hot rodding buddies Ratty and Ivor.

Met my old friend Steve, a superb banjo player, outside and we all squeezed our way into the absolute pit that the Waterfront is, was, and probably always will be. I last came here with Kate to see the Bare Naked Ladies about 12 years ago. Brilliant! Well. Except for the view past huge pillars. And the muffled sound. Oh well.

Oh but hey! We were here to see THE Hayseed Dixie. I've always loved my bluegrass. With Steve on banjo, and me on Delores, (my double bass) we were once busy playing most nights in a couple or so bands, and still meet up for the occasional pub session. But sometimes too many people take their music all too seriously. In our house, if it ain't fun, it ain't on.

Something about bluegrass though, makes me smile - and what really widens the grin is hearing familiar songs done RIGHT. Bluegrass style. Still love Run CnW playing all the Motown classics; the Sensitive New Age Cowpersons covering Elvis, Abba and Hendrix; and the Austin Lounge Lizards, doing whatever they please really. Not necessarily songs I like either - nothing, but nothing, would have kept me in the same greeby biker infested room listening to AC/DC and their ilk. Well, maybe Lemmy singing Ace of Spades. Or some early Led. But that's would have been about it.

Ah - but hey! Hayseed Dixie. They've removed all that excess, rockstar posing; and distilled down heavy rock into earnest fun. Just the right instruments - bass, banjo, mandolin and guitar/fiddle by the man Barley. Entertaining show indeed. Really can't say no more - you've just gotta see 'em!

Had a little bit of a leap about, trod on some people in a good natured way. Drank some cider, and some Adnams. Met quite a few friends from hot rodding, others from playing in bluegrass pub sessions, and it was all over far too soon. Could do it all again anytime!

Next to the car thing, I do enjoy playing a bit of bluegrass bass. Guess I might try and get out occasionally for a bit of a play. Or at least find the time to practice...

Thanks to all my bestest, favouritest, friends for making me have a good time. Really.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Charlotte and I had a fab night out, need to do it more often. As for Charlotte being "fiesty" at least she was acting her age, unlike the three grown men wedged into the back of my car playing bundle all the way home!

hotrodfil said...

Ah yes! Feisty. That's good. Hope it's an attribute she never loses.
Doubt it.

BUNDLE!!!!