Google Analytics

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Half term and the Odeon Shag sedan

Well - been kinda busy. Cleaning chimneys, cooking pies, took the week off as the kids were off school. Half term. One last holiday fling before the dark winter nights descend.

Kate's parents came over for the week, so we lit the woodburners for the first few cold and rainy days. It was the first time they've been over since Kate passed away - kinda hard, but it was real good for them to see the kids at home - getting on with normal life. Whatever that is.

So. On the Tuesday - I set off with a borrowed ramshackle trailer hitched up behind my pickup, with my dad as navigator. To Loughborough by the pretty route. Well, as pretty as can be, skirting the fens, and crossing the comical county of Rutland.

For the past few years I've been planning an honest to goodness, high days and holidays traditional something or other. With more than 2 seats and maybe even a roof. Something for the whole family. Sadly now we're family minus one, but as we still managed to go a couple of places this year all squeezed into the T modified, it only went to prove that I still want to finish the plan I started whilst Kate was around.

Spent a winter locked in the shed a couple of years ago building a Ford Pilot custom. After finishing all the chassis, running gear and panelwork I kinda... lost my way.

So. I threw it outside, dragged in my 27T tourer, and started into a plan to replace the original engine and axles with some Model A running gear. Seemed like a good idea; still does, but I gave the front end to a good friend to rebuild and he's been distracted and snowed under with work.

Hmmm. Which is a long way round trying to justify dragging home this leaky shed today.

Yup - a 1930 Model A Fordor. To be more specific, a RHD 14.9hp Fordor. For thems that don't know, we had a very curious way of rating cars for road tax over this side of the pond, so it was possible to buy a small bore version of the A engine (at extra cost!) to reduce the taxation hurt in subsequent years. And I have one of the gutless little lumps under the bonnet. Also means the back axle ratio is around 4.1, and the radiator has one less core I believe.

The engine has one redeeming feature though - the cylinder head is basically a factory hi-compression head. I'll replace the old boat anchor lump with a better, bigger, banger before we hit the road. But I'll probably leave it in place for now until my lack of carpentry skills have solved the lack of structure in the roof.

Well - an old friend came by at the weekend, and after a bit of messing, rinsing the petrol tank out, cleaning the points and carb, we jury rigged a battery and swung her over. And it started! And ran! And the sun came out! Which only amplified the bright, gold interior - what were they thinking when they retrimmed the inside?! The seats are like leftovers from an old cinema... Still - the kids found 'em comfy as we had a quick bibble along the lane.

Hopefully - this time it's gonna, kinda, - work. Just do what's needed to get the old shed on the road and have some fun maybe. Well, it's a plan?

No comments: