Google Analytics

Friday, May 25, 2007

I'm not the passenger

Driving home from work, I've nearly always listened to Radio 4. On the Bee Bee Cee.

Sometimes found myself sitting in the drive, in the dark. Or taking the long way home. Or just one more lap of the village - just to hear the end of the Short Story. Fifteen minutes of tradegy, comedy, classics - or whatever.

But the Beeb canned it years ago. And now, shortened working day to match the kids school leaving times, I've found it again in the Afternoon Reading. Hey! That quarter hour escape.

This week, Annette Crosby reading a short story - a tribute to On the Road. And one phrase rung out - delivered in a desperately raised and cracked voice as only she can.

"I want the wheel between my hands. I want to take back control. I am not the passenger!"

Superb. And so right.

No comments: